No this isn't my newest major choice, but it is how I spent my evening! We had the honor of having General David H. Petreaus come to speak at our campus tonight.

(I chose this picture because he smiled a lot)
I can't tell you all that he talked about because to tell the truth I don't understand ALL OF THE COMPLEX issues of Central Command (which is the Middle East basically I was informed tonight), but I can tell you my impressions of David Petreaus, because honestly I'm sure that's what you all care about. :)
My defining quote from David Petreaus would have to be what he said at the beginning: "I try not to take myself seriously, but I do take my work seriously" (this is what I wrote down, but just know that I wasn't recording it or anything .. so it could be less than exact). To explain this quote he was very down to Earth about himself and his beginning remarks were complimentary to everyone on the stand (which included the Governor as well). He was also very funny about LDS culture. He then took questions from the audience and he answered them pretty well (side-stepping only a few), and in a way that was easily understandable.
I was very impressed with him over all, and I like his ideas about the war and how its going. It was a really cool experience, knowing that I was in the same room (after an hour and a half wait by the way) with a man vital to this country, and someone that actually talks to President Obama -- regularly! This is one reason I'm glad to be at BYU -- there are really a lot of opportunities here!
To end with -- Here are my favorites from his list of
Top 10 Reasons Mormons Make Good Soldiers
- They have no problems switching to army rations, they've been raised on shredded carrots and green Jell-o
- They are the most reliable designated drivers
- They never go AWOL -- they prefer the term less active
(my favorite) - They have no problem building a base, you simply need to get a cane and say with a loud voice: THIS IS THE PLACE
(there were more, but I can't remember them all...)
You are a great blogger Kelly. This post made me laugh (at the end)!
ReplyDeleteThis sounds like it was very interesting and he sounds pretty funny. I'm glad that you got in and that you learned more about our country. Very civic of you!
ReplyDelete